HACC staff and volunteers working with people with a disability in centre based day care and other community settings.
This program includes:
- historical perspectives and community values related to people with a disability.
- disability types and related myths and stereotypes
- shifting the focus - "from Dis to Ability"
- communication Strategies
- dealing with challenging behaviours and personal reactions
- watch and discuss video 'Just Like You'.
- learn about different types of disability
- understand the social and physical barriers to participation that people with a disability can experience
- learn appropriate terminology and communication strategies
- learn practical and hands on strategies to enhance participation in activities.
Style of delivery
The format is interactive with examples and anecdotes provided and small group work to enhance learning.